Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Rocky Raccoon.

I got up this morning about 6:30am when Lemon started jumping up on the bed with a ball in her mouth to wake me up. I got up, without my glasses, let her outside and looked at the garage floor and saw some strange blurry discoloration. It looked a little like a crime scene, or something from Blair Witch...



I looked closer and saw that it was raccoon prints. I suspected our raccoon had started coming back recently because the cat food has been going really fast. I have proof now.



I was worried the prints were in blood at first, but then I realized what had happened. The raccoon, let's call him Rocky, had come into the garage through the cat door and smelled some lovely rotting food inside the worm compost bin and had tried to get in. In the process Rocky got his little feets into the compost tea that is collecting in the bottom pan. When he realized his feet were all compost-tea-y he waddled over to the cat water dish and cleaned himself. The cat's water was a nice shade of brown. Then he went over and checked out the dryer....and then the prints stop.


Planted today:

  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Spinach
  • Cilantro


Harvested today:



  • 1 head lettuce
  • 2 scallions (one giant)
  • 1 lemon cucumber
  • 1 pickling cucumber
  • 1 zucchini
  • 3 carrots (one of each color)



  • 4 yellow pear cherry tomatoes (the first kind of legitimate tomato harvest!)



  • 3 good looking apples that fell from the tree. Any ideas what to do with these? I have them sitting out as decoration right now. I ate one of the apples a couple weeks ago and it was pretty good, but they aren't quite ready yet.

2 comments:

  1. you can use green tomatoes to make pectin, that you can use in jam with other fruits that don't have much pectin (like strawberries, blueberries, etc).

    like this

    http://tigressinajam.blogspot.com/2010/07/apple-pectin-confiture-de-vieux-garcon.html

    jealous of your trees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I knew there must be something you could do with them.

    ReplyDelete