Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Dough Watch: The Final Countdown.

I'll spare you the anticipation. The sourdough is really, really good. I declared as soon as I ate a bite that it was worth six days. I'd say that's a success!


Last night I came home after spending time with friends and a couple beers to really just want to get into bed. But, I had bread duties. So, I donned my apron, added more water and more flour and some salt, dumped my dough on the counter and kneaded away. Then it sat in the corner for another 8-12 hours.


This morning I was ready for the final steps. I dumped the dough.



Then divided and shaped into loaves.



Then put them into floured towel lined bowls. And they sat again for a few hours in the final rise.



Then into the oven!



And they're done!



And they're good!



I will make sourdough again. Sure, it's a commitment and it takes a lot of patience, but that's kind of what this whole thing is about. I'm getting very patient. I hardly ever have instant gratification anymore. Except maybe for chips and salsa; that's the treat I usually have on hand. Otherwise it's two weeks for pickles, 6 days for bread and planning your dinners for December in July so you're sure to put enough seeds out.

2 comments: