Thursday, August 5, 2010

Putting up the plums, and other things.

It was a busy day on the homestead front today. In the morning I finally got around to putting up the plums. I ended up with 4 quarts of plums in syrup for later plum usage this year (they'll be good for baking and what not) and 4 half pints of plum preserves. The cookbook assured me this is delicious on cheesecake and I can only assume ice cream as well. I'm really looking forward to drizzling some over a scoop (or two) of vanilla ice cream.


We've started ripping out the grass in our backyard to put in a patio!



We were fortunate enough to come by oodles of paving stones and now we are actually going to have that patio we keep talking about. Tres exciting!



There are a couple smaller harvests that came through – chamomile and oregano. I've been snagging the chamomile for a couple weeks now; there should be enough for a couple pots of tea once it's done. The oregano keeps flowering, and the plant is pretty sad anyway, so I'm drying what was left. Plus, we are out of dried oregano in the house.


We pulled up the broccoli. Man, some of those things were like little trees - the stalks got huge! They weren't producing much anymore and I need the space for the fall crops. I think fall lettuce, garlic and shallots are taking their place.


The harvest has been a little lax the last week it seems. We've gotten a couple zucchini, some beans and straggly broccoli, but that's about it. No news on the pepper front. They are taking their sweet time to grow. No more cucumbers yet. The tomatoes are growing though and will hopefully start to ripen soon. Plus there is always chard, carrots and lettuce standing by when we need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment