Thursday, August 5, 2010

Pot Pie.

What do you think of when you think of the idyllic farmhouse style meal? Probably a roast chicken or turkey with stuffing and a side of green beans. Well, what if you were a vegetarian? That's right, it would be a pot pie. So warm, so savory, such a throwback in time.


I grew up eating the frozen pot pies, which I always liked, mostly because it involved gravy. I'd never had a made-from-scratch one before though. Judging from everything else I have eaten this year as my first homemade version or homegrown version I concluded that I had never had a pot pie before. It has got to be better than the frozen kind, obviously. But I was pretty sure it would be amazing.


When I thought about making a pot pie from scratch I would feel intimidated. First, it would require me to make a pie crust. I've only ever made one pie crust in my life and it was for a disastrous pie. A pie I had to take to a wedding. A pie I was required to take my picture with at said wedding so everyone could know who made which pie. It was embarrassing at best. The pie did taste good – it just looked awful because my crust was such a disaster. Secondly, I would have to make a tasty gravy. This is actually an easy thing, but for some reason I find it intimidating. I'm just not totally confident in my roux-ing abilities yet.


I had lots of random summer vegetables so I decided to make a one last night. I watched a cooking show last week about pie dough, and felt a little more confident in my abilities. I picked up a few tricks. The result was a pretty darn easy meal. It just required a few hours foresight to mix the dough and stick it in the fridge to chill. The gravy took all of five minutes, made from vegetable stock, and then you just dump it all in the pie and cover it up.



The dough this time came out great! It was the right size to cover the pie pan and it was flaky and crunchy on the edges. I was able to use up some green beans, broccoli, zucchini and carrots from the garden too! And I couldn't help but feel proud of myself when I sat down at the dinner table in front of my idyllic meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment