Thursday, August 19, 2010

Morning Mist.

What am I doing today? Well, I'm making Bread and Butter Cucumber Pickles, I'm making zucchini pickles, I'm making yogurt, I'm taking an online class on the dynamics animation system in Maya and I am enjoying a steady morning mist, which means I don't have to water the garden.


It's no wonder that Portland seems so caught up in the urban farming craze. It's that misty rain that just makes it feel right. It seems at least every other neighbor has a vegetable garden. I love going for walks and peeking into other people's yards to see what they have growing and if their peppers are bigger than mine. I saw someone the other day who had converted the parking strip between their sidewalk and the street into a healthy sized corn crop. My neighbors have chickens and so do several of my friends. When I went to buy canning supplies this year I walked into our regional big box chain supermarket to find a summer display of canning kits and supplies on sale for all your summer canning needs. It's just kind of what people do here.


I'm happy this morning to look out the window as I drink my coffee and look at the rain. I've actually missed it. I don't think I'm quite ready for it to be like this every day again, but that steady mist makes getting up early to pickle and can and make yogurt just feel like what I'm supposed to be doing. And it makes me yearn for a country cottage all the more. Maybe in a few years....


Harvested today:

  • 1 kitteh



2 comments:

  1. We had a grey day earlier this week and after 2 weeks in the 90s it was wonderful. I wore flannel pants and a summer hoodie and drank tea. I always get excited about fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's a very cute harvest! :)

    ReplyDelete