Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is it Fall yet?

Unrelated to the fact that it is about 90 and I've been working in a room with no air conditioning all day I am getting excited about fall. I stopped off at the Urban Farm Store yesterday and finally picked up some missing fall seeds. Mostly though, I impulse bought fall seeds. I just couldn't help myself. I spent part of this morning adding cabbage, french radishes, arugula and some yellow onion sets to the garden. I also got some more cauliflower in there and replaced for the umpteenth time broccoli and kale seeds that keep getting unearthed by the cats.

I'm suddenly really excited about those cool-weather crops. I think it has a lot to with the fact that my summer garden isn't the bountiful harvest that I expected it to be. In fact, I think the spring garden kept us better fed. The cucumbers grow slowly, the tomatoes are in a perpetual state of green, the peppers are just now starting to fruit, and my beans are just sad. I'm excited by the prospect of something new and I have high hopes for a bountiful fall and winter garden.

1 comment: