Monday, November 1, 2010

Dreams.

I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do with my life lately. I had a lot of time to think about it this year. I've been thinking about how I have my dream job now and it's not really what I want out of life. If 13-year-old me could see me now working at a feature animation studio alongside people who have worked on every animated movie I've seen since I was born I would have exploded with excitement.

But now that almost 30-year-old me is here it feels like it's something that I get to check off the list once this film is done. Worked on a feature film, check. Now, moving on...

If I go back even further though, 8-year-old me would explode with excitement if I lived in a cabin the woods. So maybe that's the next thing on my list. In all seriousness, though, I do have a dream of my life where I can spend the majority of my working time working at living and not at an office. I would be much happier spending my time directly providing my own food than abstractly getting a paycheck to go and buy it later.

One of the other blogs I follow wrote a little piece on dreams and I really enjoyed it:

"Believe–and make no mistake, believing means working. Dreaming AND doing. (Doing doesn’t mean you have to buy a farm tomorrow. But if it’s what you want, you should be doing something toward the goal. Every day.) There is no greater obstacle to your dreams than fear. And common sense. Common sense is a huge obstacle. If I had been making my decisions based on common sense, I would still be living in a 4000-square foot house in a posh suburb in North Carolina buying Viking cookware while I fed my kids mashed potatoes out of a box."

So I am going to keep working on that dream a little every day and just like with my animated film dream one day I might wake up and find that I'm already there.


2 comments:

  1. I too have been thinking about this a lot and I'm finally feeling like I'm going toward the right directions. It's sad to think, but dreams change, morph, grow larger, get simpler... I too am looking toward and working on that goal every day. We can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still sometimes wonder what I want to be when I grow up, and I have a master's in my field and the exact type of job I want. I still sometimes wonder if I'd rather be doing something creative on my own, living somewhere rural, traveling or doing something extreme. Choosing any one thing means giving up the other things but what I remind myself is most of us have the chance to try lots of things in life, so I try not to worry about it too much.

    ReplyDelete