Sunday, November 7, 2010

Southern foods from the North.


I did some cooking Saturday and finally got around to making those green tomato pickles. They had been sitting for so long that some of them started to ripen! And rot. I lost a few tomatoes, but still had enough to make a couple jars of pickles and make a nice plate of fried green tomatoes for Cajun night (I also made Gumbo. yumm). They were pretty delicious.

I was really pleased when I looked down at the counter mid-prep and saw all my green tomatoes from the summer garden, onions from the fall garden and fresh kale from the winter garden all coming together.



I also got a nice surprise in the mail from Texas. My friend has a pecan tree in her yard and I am reaping the benefits! Turns out these things are really hard to shell. Like Mike said, I could eat pecans as much as I want as long as I shell them myself. It's kind of a pain in the butt. But a delicious one.


No comments:

Post a Comment