Monday, May 17, 2010

It was a bikey kinda weekend.

It was a busy weekend and a bikey weekend. On Saturday Mike rode in Reach the Beach, a 104-mile bike ride from Portland to Pacific City. He did it! I'm very proud of him and I am thinking about doing it next year myself. Here he is crossing the finish line.


This is only half the bike corral at the finish. I think there was somewhere around 3,500 people who did the ride on Saturday.

On the way out there I went on a hike with Lemon at Cape Lookout; it was stunning. Apparently you can often see whales from up here.




Mike said he saw one in this cove once. Lemon and I weren't so lucky. But it was a beautiful day for a hike whales or not.




On Sunday, Sunday Parkways was happening and went right past our house! It was great fun to sit in the yard and people watch as everyone rode past. The road was closed off just out our front door.



We met some of our neighbors too. One was selling plant starts from a wagon for a dollar a piece. I bought a tomato, cucumber and bell pepper. Another stopped off to check out our garden and mentioned how he didn't start any kale seeds in time. So, we dug up one of our kale plants, put it in a plastic pot and sent him on his way. It's amazing what getting out of your car and being in the same air with other people will do.

It was a constant stream of people. I think the event was a big success! I rode my bike on part of the route and had a hard time getting it through my head that I didn't have to worry about cars coming up behind me and that Mike and I could actually ride abreast of each other and talk as we rode instead of riding in a line and being in constant fear of bodily harm. It was a really wonderful change of pace. I wish it was like that all the time.


1 comment:

  1. Cape Lookout is stunning.
    I really need to visit this little slice of heaven on earth.

    ReplyDelete