Monday, May 10, 2010

I realized I'm a poor hippie.

I joined a book club a few months ago and this time we are reading The Good Earth. I'm about halfway through right now, but basically it's about a Chinese peasant farmer in maybe the early 1900's and his life. He really loves the earth and growing things and he comes off today as quite the environmentalist, but really most of the things he does he does because he's poor and he has to. He saves paper that a street corner speaker hands him to sew into padding for his children's shoes. He cherishes every seed and every drop of rain because he knows that is what he needs to eat and care for his family.


And then it occurred to me, I'm not so much an environmentalist as I am poor. If money were not an issue I will still own a car. I would probably still bake, but just for fun every once in a while and I would buy bread at the store for daily use. I would probably buy canned beans instead of dry. I would have bought the specific shade of brown paint I wanted instead of buying a cheap gallon of recycled paint. I would buy paper towels instead of using cloth ones. I would have a smaller garden and would have grown things like artichokes that are fun, but not very practical. I would have bought paper plates for our party. But, money is an issue, especially now.


The next thing on my agenda is to learn to sew, at least a little, so I can put some buttons back on pants and repair a torn seam in one of Mike's favorite sweaters. And the truth is, I'm not doing it because I don't want to waste a sweater, I'm doing it because I can't afford a sweater. I'm baking bread because I can either spend $5 on 10 pounds of flour to make a dozen loafs of bread, or $5 on one loaf of artisan bread. I cook from dry beans because I can buy probably five times the amount of food for the same money if I cook it myself. I use real towels instead of paper so I don't have to buy towels every time I go to the store. I want to get rain barrels so my water bill won't be so high more than to conserve water. I have a garden to feed myself. I know that if money gets tight in a few months, at least I'll have food.


It's not to say that I don't enjoy making things from scratch and doing things with my hands, I really do enjoy it. But I think that living on a fixed income in a recession sure puts the pressure on to do it as much as you can. And I don't think that's a bad thing at all. That's what environmentalism is; it's not wasting things. It's using everything that you have and reusing what you can.


So, now when I harvest radishes from my garden I eat the tops. I definitely do not throw them away because I now see it as fuel for my body. Why would I throw away an edible part of a plant that I have cultivated and watched grow. It just seems crazy to me. All my life I have tossed my radish tops, but not anymore.

6 comments:

  1. pretty much everything good has come from people who are poor figuring out ways to do things cheaper or more economically. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the poorest people I know just eat things from the McDonalds dollar menu... for $2 you can get 2 double cheeseburgers and that's a lot of fuel for your body. You aren't doing that, I'm guessing out of a combination of caring about your body, caring about the environment, having access to space to grow things and a kitchen to bake in, and the foresight to see that $2 on seeds now can land you with a lot more than 2 cheeseburgers' worth of food a few months down the road.

    I'm not sure what you were getting at with your post (being down on yourself for only being "green" out of necessity, or just commenting how money concerns affect our choices), and I'm not sure what I'm getting at with my comment either :P It's just weird how there are so many different levels of "poor" and they come with so many + and - qualities.

    When I was at my poorest I didn't grow things or bake because I lived in a 200 sf apartment with no counters and no storage and a miniscule oven. I ate Mac & Cheese or spaghetti with generic sauce from a jar. Now that I have a bigger place I have the luxury of being able to cook more and space to plant things and store things and plan ahead.

    I've seriously considered offering a few of my more responsible clients some plants (maybe a tomato plant and some herbs) since they are stretched so thin on food stamps, but they all live in such tiny closet studios with terrible light, I'm not sure it's even worth it :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. how do you prepare the radish tops? i have a ton that i don't want to go to waste...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, you are right, it's a combination of things. But, when I stop to really think about it, it's the money issue that is the first reason I choose a lot of the things I do and the fact that I do care about my body and the environment filter in after that. And, a lot of it has to do with foresight. I had the money last year to buy a house and get a yard, and I can see how much money I have saved and guess about the time it's going to run out and know that's about the time I really need to perfect my food preservation skills (jams, jellies, canning, etc). But I do have the flexibility to plan ahead at this point, which is great. Barring finding another job I'm going to be pretty damn poor in about three months. :)

    As far as the radish tops, I have put them raw on radish sandwiches as greens instead of lettuce, and I have put them in pasta as greens too. They just have to steam or saute about five minutes. They taste really earthy and kinda spicy. It's neat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting observations, I hadn't thought about that. Also what you have on your side right now is time. I'd love to do what you do...next on my list is also sewing, but I don't have the time. Heck, even baking bread! I have to carve out a half day or so and plan ahead so that I can have the time to do these things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, that is very true. That's why I am trying to do all these things now, because I have the time. Even now, doing volunteer work, online classes and trying to get back into shape I don't feel like I have time to bake or garden or cook half the time. We'll see how well I keep up when I rejoin the workforce - but who knows how long that will be, most of Portland has been unemployed for over a year. bah!

    ReplyDelete