Sunday, April 18, 2010

Getting bigger all the time.

I think it's really Spring. I mean it this time. Suddenly everything in the garden is starting to grow fast! If the plants say it's Spring, I believe them. The kale and spinach seem to be adding an extra leaf every day. I'm going to start thinning the kale and eating the ones I pull and the spinach will be ready to harvest soon.


I set out my lettuce starts, which are pretty sad. I left the plastic covering on them inside on a sunny day and I burnt them. A few made it and came back, but they are pretty puny. But, never fear, I sowed lettuce seeds a couple weeks ago and they sprouted! We'll be knee deep in lettuce this summer after all.

The free-box eight-year-old endive seeds are far exceeding my expectations and are growing in pace with the kale and spinach. I've never actually eaten endive before. I should probably start looking into recipes for that because by the looks of I'm going to have a lot of it to eat.


Somewhere in my excessive garden planning and overzealousness to have a lot of onions, I sowed a lot of seeds and didn't account for the starts I had growing inside. I went to transplant the onions and realized I didn't have any space for them. Whoops. So, I am trying to squeeze them in where I can; right now I have some inbetween spinach rows. Hopefully as the spinach are harvested the onions will get bigger and they won't bother each other much. Then the spinach bed will be replaced by onions as the season goes.



I built some makeshift trellises for the peas out of the trimings from our fruit trees. No bad, huh? And, look, they grabbed on! How do they know there is something to grab onto there? It boggels my mind. I wasn't going to do peas this year, but Mike said he wanted them and I'm glad he did. I'm getting very excited for fresh peas and getting to watch these guys climb.




When I was on a run last week I came upon my neighbor's house with a wheelbarrow out front with a sign propped up inside that said “Free Raspberries (not the whelbarrow)”. So I loaded up and walked back home with a bunch of raspberry vines. We planted them and some died, but some made it and now we will have fresh raspberries too.



2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! So lovely. We're still at least 6 weeks off from having anything to speak of in the garden worthy of a picture. Although I did get notice my CSA is hoping for broccoli and winter greens by June! I just have to be patient. I'm so impressed with your garden. My attemps usually ahve huge failures of one kind or another. Great job - I think the planning's paying off. Oh yeah... and not living in Maine. :)

    ReplyDelete