Friday, April 9, 2010

Easiest. Bread. Ever.

I found this recipe in my Encyclopedia of Bread and Bread Baking book a little while back. It has got to be hands down the easiest, fastest, most filling loaf of bread ever. The book gives a little history about the loaf. It was published in Britain during World War II. I can understand why, it's hearty and easy and doesn't use a lot of ingredients. So, here it goes; a true no-knead bread.


(The book recipe makes 3 loaves, so I reduced this quite a bit)


5 cups whole wheat flour

2 1/2-2/3/4 cup warm water

1 tsp. dry active yeast

1 tsp. Brown sugar

1 tsp. salt


Mix yeast with 2/3 cup warm water. Add sugar after a couple minutes and let sit for 10 minutes.


Sift flour and salt in a large bowl, make a well in the center.


Add yeast mixture and remaining water to flour.



Mix until it forms a slimy ball (I find that my dough is often too floury, so add water as needed). Tim did not make the bread. He served only as moral support.

Then, get this, dump it into the pan. Cover it with oiled plastic wrap.



Work on your knitting, or whatever for 30 min. Side note: I realize this is far to large to be a baby scarf. And, Mike pointed out that you probably don't want to wrap something around a small child's neck anyway. So, the scarf is for me. I screwed up anyway (I'm turning it into a pattern though, can't you see?) and it's my first attempt. But, after that I'll make a baby hat, or blanket, or something else appropriate and appropriately sized.


Then, put it in the oven at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.


That's it. And this is a really yummy, filling loaf of bread. One slice feels like a meal.



3 comments:

  1. ok, i can do this...i can do this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely! I usually cheap and add some unbleached flour. I think I'll try this one! PS... careful about the knitting. It's completely addictive. Check out ravelry. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea - You CAN do this!

    Anne - I will check that out. I'm looking into classes around town too. It's only been a week and I think I am already addicted.

    ReplyDelete