Saturday, September 4, 2010

Pantry Expansion.

I have a tiny house, with a tiny kitchen, with a tiny pantry. Well, really, there is no "pantry" per se, just some cupboards. I have two cupboards acting as the pantry right now. It's filled to the brim. I also took over a shelf in the plates cupboard for bulk food items like rice, dry beans and oats. When I started canning I ran out of space and fast.


Before I knew it we had stacked all our bowls and plates together and had potatoes piled on top. Every time I needed to get a plate out I would have to move a pile of other things to get down to the size plate I needed.

So we decided to turn our hall closet into food storage for canned goods and what not. I am totally going to start buying flour in 25 pound bags now. I had found some good metal shelving at a decent price that I was all ready to go buy when Mike came home from a run one day with a giant shelf. He found it about 7 blocks away and carried it home on his back. Hooray for free stuff when you need it!


I finally got around to labeling everything that has been canned so far this year and moved it out of the kitchen. It was very liberating. And there is so much space for more!

We got our first real, mostly ripened apple this morning, so there will be lots more canning starting up around these parts soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment