Friday, September 24, 2010

Back at work.

I'm getting back into the groove of working all day. So far I have been fairly successful in still cooking from scratch most days and doing my projects in the evening, like making pickles on a Tuesday night. I was sure this morning to wake up a few minutes early so I could prep my pie dough for dinner tonight. It didn't take more than five or ten minutes to mix and then place in rounds in the fridge to rest until this evening. Of course, doing this and not getting home from work until 7pm means dinner time is now usually somewhere around 8:30, which means by the time we eat and finish cleaning the kitchen there is only another hour or so until bedtime!

I started a new knitting project last weekend too. I've had the pattern picked out for quite some time, but I just hadn't gone out to get the right size needles and the yarn. I'm making some nice tall arm warmers with thumb holes. I'm pretty excited about them. In discovering my office mate is also a knitter (and much more accomplished and experienced than myself) I have brought my knitting into work. I've been able to work on it during the lunch hour, and the last couple days during the day too. I'm working on a feature film now and since there is only one project we are all working on, when one department gets backed up it goes down the line. We have been waiting for that inevitable tidal wave of work to rush into our department all week and while we've been waiting, we've been knitting.




On the schedule for work this weekend: Cat-proofing the garden! It's been a constant struggle all summer to make the cats learn that even though there are three giant boxes filled with dirt in the front yard that it does not mean they are litter boxes. We tried the stuff you sprinkle around the edges of the garden that is supposed to repel cats and other critters. Our guys were walking right through it ten minutes after application. We tried the motion activated sprinkler, which only goes off for shadows of a windy tree, but not for cats walking right in front of it. We tried BBQ skewers pointy side up throughout the garden. I managed to poke myself on them a few times, but the cats are more agile than me and just wrap themselves around them. Now, however, that we are starting a new season and going back to the dirt level with new seeds we are going to get some chicken wire and lay it down on the dirt and let the plants grow up between it. This way (theoretically) they can't dig at all. They'll probably just poop on top now. Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment