Saturday, March 27, 2010

YES!


I love radishes. I really, really do. A nice radish with some blue cheese. Knock me over, I'm in heaven. I harvested the very first of my radishes and in fact, the very first of my garden today. I've been very anxious about pulling the radishes up; I've read if you leave them in the ground too long they rot easily and are prone to disease. I pulled up about seven of the largest today and left the rest to grow a bit larger until next week. But, I've done it! I grew these from tiny little seeds. And now I just ate them. They were delicious. Succulent and sweet at first, then earthy, then a little spicy. Mmmmm......radish. I should be able to harvest the whole first sowing within the week, which will be enough for a couple meals.


I am an organized freak sometimes because I do things like writing the meals we have ingredients for on the dry-erase board on the fridge. When I get home from the grocery store I write up everything we can make from what we have, and I slowly erase the list as we eat it. It makes sure I use everything of what I have and I don't forget about something I thought would be neat last week. But, for the first time I wrote something up on the board without going to the grocery store! It's a radish pasta that uses the root and the greens and it sounds pretty delectable and I can make it in a couple days with my first big harvest.


I also got back on the rye bread horse and tried a new recipe. Success!! It's way too salty, but I'll cut that in half next time. It's a good flavored sandwich rye and it actually rose this time and cooked all the way through. It's been a successful couple days on the homestead.



Next week is the start of April and lots of new things are popping up on my garden calendar to plant like carrots and chard and peppers. The garden beds are really going to start filling in quickly now that the weather is getting warmer and rain is broken with some sun. Hooray, Spring!

1 comment: