Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Break time.

I'm on break from gardening this week. I had surgery on my arm yesterday and got the plate and screws taken out. Compared to getting them in, this is nothing. I'm sure I'll be feeling fine in a couple days once the incision starts to heal, and I'll be back to gardening in a week or so.


I got a lot of things started before my surgery so that my gardening calendar for the next two weeks is almost empty. I planted some cilantro, lettuce and cauliflower seeds. My Siskiyou Sweet onions are sprouting and the broccolis continue to grow. You can see the radish sprouts from across the yard now and the plum tree has more and more flowers on it.


In addition to being a first-time homesteader and I am also a first-time homeowner. And this means making the yard look pretty on top of being functional. On the side of the house we have decided to plant a few bushes and create a border along the side of the house. The day before my surgery I finally got the grass cleared enough for the first bush and got it into the ground. I stole some dirt from the summer bed, as we aren't going to plant anything there until May anyway, and we can get another load of dirt later. I got some dirt around the little tiny rhododendron and I now I can see the vision of what the side of the house will look like when we are done. It's going to look really nice. Here's Tim helping me. He ate some grass and then puked next to the rhododendron. Sweet guy.

So, I'm not going to have anything to add the next few days. I'll let you know if I watch any good movies. Sometimes it's nice to have days when you are required to sit on the couch and do a movie marathon.

1 comment:

  1. liz! while you are taking a break, i gave you a blog award :) look at my blog and you'll find it.

    ReplyDelete