Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cheap eats.

We are running a little low on food over here at the homestead. I haven't been to the grocery store in nearly two weeks. I don't particularly feel like going right now either. So, I've been stretching the food that we do have. I have one more meal written on the dry-erase board, the Radish Pasta. I need to harvest those guys first though. Beyond that I have beans, rice and flour. So, last night I made English Muffins so we would have some breakfast food. It's one of my staple recipes now. They are really pretty easy and really delicious too. It makes a lot, it's easy to freeze and it tastes way better than store bought (plus it just has these 6 ingredients in it!).

4 cups white flour

1 ½ tsp. Salt

1 ½ cup warm milk

½ tsp. Sugar

1 packet or 1 tbsp. Dry active yeast

1 tbsp. Olive oil

Semolina for dusting (optional)

  • Put sugar and yeast in a small bowl. Heat milk to lukewarm and add ½ cup milk to yeast and sugar. Let yeast proof.

  • Sift flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center.

  • Add yeast mixture, remaining milk and oil to flour mixture.

  • Beat until dough holds it's shape. It will be kinda sticky still though.

  • Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise for about an hour.

  • On a well floured surface roll dough to about ½ inch thick. Using a 3” cutter (or the mouth of a mason jar or large glass) cut out little muffins. Place on a floured baking sheet or floured cutting board or whatever works, cover with a towel and let rise for a half hour. Dust with semolina if you have it.

  • Cook on a griddle over medium heat, about 5-7 min for each side. Let cool and enjoy.

*Side note: I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I needed to find a griddle at a garage sale. Well, I found this one in a free box last weekend! Score!*

Mmmm....breakfast.

1 comment:

  1. Man, that does look easy and yet i'm still intimidated.

    ReplyDelete