Thursday, February 24, 2011

(Almost) Snow Day.

I grew up in Texas. On average it snowed every seven years. That means before I went off to college I had seen snow 2 times in my life. Once, when I was about 2 it snowed and we made a snowman. I only know this from pictures. When I was in Junior High it snowed and school was even canceled. It only took a couple inches to shut everything down. In high school we had a big ice storm, but not really any snow, per se. I went to college in Santa Fe for a couple years, where snow was a regular thing. You would get a few inches and it would stick around for a week and then melt off. But it happened pretty regularly through the winter; we were in the mountains after all, so the city was prepared with salted roads and snowploughs.

Portland is just about as bad as Texas when it comes to snow. I think it snows once a year here. That seems to be my experience, but the city just isn't equipped to deal with it. A couple inches and everything shuts down. A few years ago there was upwards of a foot and a half on the ground for a week and a half. I missed most of it, as I was in Texas for Christmas.




The forecast last night was for 2-4" and the city was preparing for a shut down. I had my fingers crossed for a snow day from work. I work pretty far out, and there is no way to get there without crossing a range of hills up to 1000'. I was hoping for a day of leisurely drinking my coffee with Mike. Taking the dog for a long walk in a carpet of white and then maybe a walk up to get pizza and a beer in the afternoon. Definitely no driving, and definitely no driving the giant van.




It looked promising when I woke up, but it was not to be. Work was on. Though the giant van slid a bit in slush and ice getting out of my neighborhood, once I was on major roads it was fine. It sure is pretty out there though.




With a lifetime of limited snow I still get really excited about it. I've never lived anywhere where the snow really piled up. A couple inches is magic to me.

I snapped a few shots on my way out the door this morning. Our winter snow for the year. Next week, back to rain.





1 comment:

  1. So pretty! I have to say, once a year is sounding pretty good to me right now. I think I would love to live in a place where it snows for 1 or 2 months and then heats right up. Does that exist? Sign me up for December 15 to February 1!

    ReplyDelete