Saturday, February 5, 2011

Homemade Shampoo.

Another week, another random DIY household item project. This time I ran out of shampoo. So, instead of going out and buying some filled with chemicals and who knows what carcinogens, I made my own. All I needed was one of the basic few household items I now buy in bulk for cleaning and other purposes: castille soap, baking soda, borax, washing soda and vinegar.

All I needed for shampoo was a few tablespoons of castille soap. The kind we have is tea tree scented.



There are a variety of herbs you can add to shampoos for scent and also for help with oiliness, dryness, volume, etc. Today I just added rosemary, since we have a rosemary bush. Come summer, though, I'll be adding lavender from our lavender bushes and hopefully grow some sage and add that as well. I put the rosemary leaves in a tea strainer.



I boiled some water and let the rosemary steep for 10-15 minutes.




Then I added the rosemary water to the castille soap (I just reused my old shampoo bottle).



Voila - Homemade tea tree-rosemary shampoo! Total cost of replacement shampoo: $.28 - Frugal Win!

No comments:

Post a Comment