Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Canning.

I was all set to sit down and do some research and write an entry on canning and food preservation. It's getting to be about that time already. The cherry tree is turning deeper shades of yellow-orange-red every day, we just put the remainder of the spinach in the freezer (incorrectly, mind you), and the kale is starting to bolt as well. In another month I'll probably be knee deep in zucchini, tomatoes and cucumbers too. It's time to figure out how to preserve my food.

After just throwing some spinach in the freezer I discovered that it really is best to blanch it first. This stops the enzymes that causes the plant to basically keep aging. It will lose flavor and texture if you freeze it without blanching. Oopsie. Well, I'm learning as I go. Here's a handy reference for various vegetables.

As far as canning is concerned I am just about as inexperienced as with freezing. I preserved apples once and canned them in a water bath. But that's it. I went to one of the blogs I am subscribed to this morning though, and they had already written a really great entry on canning with lots of helpful links. They are based in LA and are a couple months ahead of me harvest-wise and already knee deep in vegetables.

I think I'm going to get a food preservation book this week. And I have a feeling I am going to spend a good chunk of my summer slaving over a boiling stovetop...

1 comment:

  1. I love this book:

    http://www.amazon.com/Homemade-Living-Canning-Preserving-Chutneys/dp/1600594913/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253022374&sr=1-4

    I also got the Ball Blue Book (still laugh when I say that) and it's a good reference but nothing too exciting. I still have a few others on my list...

    ReplyDelete