Friday, September 30, 2011

Small Potatoes.

This was the first time I ever tried growing potatoes. They worked, but didn't really grow vertically, which I had intended by making little potato towers. There was just one layer of potatoes on the bottom. And there weren't that many. And they were small.



They sure were tasty though. Next time around I'm sure they will be more fruitful. I think the soil was a little too rich for them. Upon further research potatoes actually like kind of cruddy soil with a lot of sand. So, I won't treat them so well next year. Hopefully it will toughen them up.

2 comments:

  1. Well some is better than none, right? We tried sweet potatoes once in big pots since they are really expensive here in Germany, but we didn't have much luck. Onions is my new favorite thing to grow -- I had no idea they were so easy :)

    Tiffany
    www.noordinaryhomestead.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have much luck with potatoes last year. My biggest one was about the size of a grape :/

    ReplyDelete