Friday, September 23, 2011

Sewing.

I don't know how to sew. No clue what-so-ever. There are a couple of things I have "mended" over the years that were great triumphs in my mind, but really, there was no skill involved. I just followed a vague intuition of what stitches are supposed to look like.

I started planning on buying a sewing machine about four years ago. My first project when I got that not yet had machine was going to be an apron. My mom bought me an apron that Christmas because, well, she knew this would happen. I never did buy that sewing machine.

Last year, though, Mike found a sewing machine. That was step one down. Just because I finally had a sewing machine didn't mean I knew anything about it. I had never in my life laid a hand on a sewing machine. So, that found machine sat in a case (and is still sitting in a case) on the floor of the back room waiting for me to figure out what I'm doing.

Better late than never, I started taking a sewing class this month. It's a four-week series and I'm two weeks in. I can....kind of sew now! I at least have enough of a clue that I can start using that machine at home and I'm starting to see all the garments I thought were lost to tears or wear that I can fix or re-purpose now. I'm think about things I can make. It's opening up all new doors of possibility. Who knew sewing could be so exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment