Friday, September 23, 2011

Tomato-Tomato-Tomato.

Tomatoes!!! This is the tomato harvest from last weekend:





There were a lot of tomatoes. I managed to use all of them, but then we harvested again and now we have another box of tomatoes to use. I'm eying this recipe.





I made most of them into fresh from the garden tomato sauce. I was so very, very close to having this entire recipe be home grown. Unfortunetly our onions were a bust this year and we already went through what we had. The onions in this sauce are from, gasp, the store. But the tomatoes, carrot, basil, thyme, oregano and garlic are all from our own yard.





Our peppers were a bust this year too. Need to get a cold frame. But, my future mother-in-law's garden had plentiful peppers and we got share in it! These were roasted and either put into salsa or frozen.




I experimentally canned some green chile sauce and some knock-off Ninfa's red sauce. I also made jalapeno salsa from an actual canning recipe.





I didn't bother to really read up about canning salsa. I assumed peppers were high acid food like tomatoes, because, well, they just seem like they should be. I was wrong. They are not. So, I need to un-can the Ninfa's sauce and the green chile sauce and move them over to the freezer. Or just eat them. The jalapeno salsa I made should be good; since it was prepared from a meant-for-canning recipe it's loaded with vinegar. Live and learn. At least I didn't give us botulism or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment