Monday, June 27, 2011

Tomatoes hate kale.

I started a new gig around town. I'm a Garden Apprentice. Pretty sweet, right? I'm volunteering some of my time with the Urban Farm Collective at their Turner Garden. In exchange I get produce at a market each week containing veg and herbs from all their gardens and, even better, I get a crap-ton of knowledge. I've been working with them for the past month or so but I have already learned a lot and have regretted a lot of my garden techniques and planning for this season.

The most recent discovery is that kale and tomatoes don't like each other. I had no idea. I at least had no idea how much they don't like each other. I have two sections of tomatoes this year. One section is planted in 'virgin' soil, one of the new beds. I also did some good companion planting here and put carrot rows in between my tomatoes. They are both doing amazingly well! I've got a few basil sprouts coming up in there too (plus some leeks).






The others are planted where I had my kale last year.




I blamed the poor tomato growth on my lack of fertilizer and amending soil from last season, which I am sure is a large contributing factor. But, I think the shoddy growth has a lot to blame on the previous tenets of kale. In fact, I put my spring kale this year in the bed where I had my tomatoes last summer. What do you know, we didn't have any spring kale. It grew to about three inches tall and never progressed. I'm blaming last summer's tomatoes. I finally pulled up the little baby kales that never matured and put peppers in their place. Hopefully they will fare better.

Tomatoes love carrots and they hate kale. Duly noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment