Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Have you ever cooked lettuce?

I found myself with my weekly grocery budget spent. There were a lot of household items like toilet paper and toothpaste and aluminum foil this week, which didn't leave a lot leftover for food. I also found myself with two heads of lettuce left in the fridge and another two heads starting to bolt in the garden. Our lettuce queue was stacking up. So, what's a girl to do? I got creative.

I have seen some recipes for cooked lettuce around and I can only assume these recipes are born of necessity. If there is anything a gardener knows it's that you always end up with too much lettuce. I've seen lettuce and pea dishes (which I will try as our pea queue is stacking up as well) and lettuce soups (I think I'll pass on that one), but I found this little gem the other day and it looked really good! Grilled lettuce.

I took the above as inspiration, but used what we had on hand. We had a few mushrooms leftover that were getting wrinkly and some celery, onion and garlic. I sauteed those in some butter with a splash of red wine and balsamic vinegar.




I got the cast iron pan for my birthday and this is the first time I've actually cooked in it (I've done some baking, but that's it)! It really distributed the heat well and it made me feel pretty fancy. I let that all simmer for fifteen minutes or so, then I scooped the veggies out and set them aside. In the still hot pan I put in both heads of lettuce cut in half and grilled each side for about 30 seconds.

I served the lettuce over some homemade bread (Almost No-Knead Bread) toasted with butter with the sauteed veggie mixture and some crumbled gargonzola on top. We were a little apprehensive - I mean, cooked lettuce? But the verdict was good! It was a great way to use up some extra lettuce and some extra veg we had lying around. Success!




No comments:

Post a Comment