Thursday, April 28, 2011

End of an Era.

This is my last week in my 20's. This weekend I will turn the big 3-0. I don't usually care too much about birthdays. I find them a great excuse for cake. Other than that I've never been big on parties or celebrations.

The last couple birthdays I have had BBQs. Both times they turned out rather cold. I still have it in my mind that it's 90 degrees on my birthday; it was that way when I was growing up. I had the backyard celebrations mostly because I felt like I had to do something for my birthday. That seemed like the thing I would enjoy the most - a few friends, some food and a yard. This year I decided I really did need to do something. I mean, this is a big one. This is the first birthday I have really cared about probably since I turned 16 and was finally able to drive a car alone. I thought to myself, "What do you really want to do?". I didn't want a bunch of people around, I didn't want a big to-do. I wanted to do something that would symbolize my next decade. So I decided I wanted to spend a weekend in the mountains. Mike and I are taking off on Saturday morning to spend a couple nights in Bend, OR. I've never been and I have always wanted to go since I moved here. I've heard it's supposed to be like the Santa Fe of Oregon. A smaller city, nestled among ski resorts and ample hiking, on the Eastern edge of the Cascades so it's high desert instead of temperate rain forest.

When we get back I'll be a year older and will move into the next decade. Leaving behind the city-jumping era of my life and moving into....well....I don't really know. But I'm excited to find out.

3 comments:

  1. Have a great trip!! You will love Bend. It's just your kind of place :) Happy birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Happy Birthday! I can't wait to hear what Bend is like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stole away to the mountains for my 30th too. Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete