Friday, April 15, 2011

Seedlings.

It's almost time for some of the seedlings to graduate to the yard. This weekend I'm setting out the cabbage and broccoli.

This is my best cabbage. I'm really excited about them; the variety is Mammoth Red Rock. I hope they turn out like they sound.




Something funny happened with a lot of my seedlings. They grew tomatoes off to the side. The best I can come up with is that there were tomato seeds in my compost. I mixed seedling mix and our own compost from the worm bin for all the seedlings. Tomato seeds are hearty and survived the decomposition process and weren't eaten by the worms. There are random tomatoes in about one out of every five pots.




This is my best broccoli. It is the same variety I grew last year, DiCicco, but these seedlings seem a lot stronger and larger than they were last year. The yield last Spring was great, so I'm sure this season will be even better.




The lettuces aren't going out just yet, but this is my best lettuce so far. I can't wait for summer salads.



1 comment:

  1. I've got tomatoes growing all over the place, too...I think for the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete