Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tex-Mex Fix.

On Sunday night I must have been feeling homesick for Texas because even though I had little energy to do anything during the day I somehow churned out a from scratch enchilada plate, Tex-Mex style.

I made a double batch of tortillas so we can freeze some for convenience later. I'm starting to get used to doing this now that I've made tortillas several times. Mix Masa with water.



Knead for 5 minutes on a dry surface.



Roll into balls like Play-Doh.



Press and cook over high heat on a griddle for delicious homemade corn tortillas!



I also made a classic chili gravy sauce. I moved away from the chili gravy and over to verde sauce as a pre-teen, but I still remember the taste. This sauce brought me back to sitting in El Matador after church on Sunday eating cheese enchiladas in chili gravy and looking at the murals of the Matadors on the wall, the sticky plastic seats, the smell of frying chips and the pralines in the white paper sleeves you got on your way out the door.

The black beans I made previously and pulled out of the freezer a few hours prior. I think the freezing process makes these beans better. They mush together more and it's just delicious.



In the end this may not have been the healthiest meal in the world, but everything was made from scratch. No preservatives or strange additives and I'm pretty proud of that.

2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing. I recently bought a tortilla press at the mercado in San Antonio, but I've only used it once and it wasn't the greatest result. Right now we are on a pre-wedding diet (lame) but as soon as its over, I plan on eating everything covered with cheese. And I'm going to make that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so hugry now.
    I haven't made tortillas in a while. Do you use a press? I always got impatient pressing them because I like mine so thin.... HMM... Might have to have enchiladas for dinner.
    :)

    ReplyDelete