Monday, January 10, 2011

Bold and True: Dreams

I have a dream of working part-time and maybe even being self-employed. If you read this blog, that really isn't too shocking, but it feels a little taboo to say out loud. I dream in a few years down the road I can buy land/house outright or close to it and drastically reduce my overhead costs of living. I dream that 20k a year would be more than enough to comfortably live. I dream that I could actually make a living off baking or gardening on my own or working for someone on a slightly larger scale.

I dream of a hand-built home with some small livestock and a large garden. I dream of the time spent growing, baking and creating as actually for livelihood and not for hobby. I dream of days spent working toward something for my betterment and not sitting in a windowless room. As cool as it is to be able to say 'I'm working on a movie', it's frankly not that fulfilling and I don't know that it's something that can sustain me for the next 35 years. I feel I have two paths in life, 1. to globe trot major cities of the world and be an urbanite working in entertainment (as the majority of my co-workers do), or 2. go to nature and be a crazy-earth-mother-type.

It's a very anti-21st-century thing to say and a very stereotypical Portland thing to say, which is why I try to refrain from saying it. But, it's true. There are a lot of variables that go into that dream and a lot of days left to sit inside at my computer desk, but I am focusing my goals toward that end. As time goes on that dream will bend and morph until it resembles something plausible and doable. But, this is where I'm starting and that's what this blog is all about really. It's my preparations for making a ridiculous dream a reality. Will she do it? You'll have to wait and see.

8 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration. Much of what you dream of, I dream of too =)

    You can do it, and if you can do it, I can do it =) My dream is to either live and have a business in the country or live in the country with a home (condo?) in the city.

    It's funny, because I told my sister-in-law what I wanted to do and for some reason that felt weird, like it made it real even though I've been talking about it with others for a while now.

    We shall see...how exciting for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so completely understand!!! When I lost my job that one time, and realized how much I got done when I didn't have one, it completely changed how I looked at things. I have to say I admire your patience, giving yourself the time to move into whatever it is you end up doing, with grace. You'll be ready for it whenever it happens, and you're doing so much work already. Look at all that you're doing! I get so impatient - wanting to find my farm right now... feeling downright depressed sometimes as I look outside my window at the street and powerlines. And I don't really live in an urban environment! So, basically, you're a better and more patient person than I. And... I think it's patience that helps you find the right balance of all that you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does make it real to say it out loud or put it in writing. And in doing so you set yourself up for potential failure. If you never say what you really want then you never have to not get what you want. But that's no way to live!

    And, Anne, I am VERY impatient. At least you are looking out a window at a street and power lines. I'm in a box looking at land on the internet and getting depressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's a totally reasonable thing to want. It's hard to balance the ambition and the desire to slow down and live with nature. I really believe in my work and think it's important, and I still constantly dream of ways to quit or do it less.

    Unfortunately, property here is SO expensive, I don't think we'd ever be able to buy outright. Even saving up a 20% down payment will take years and years. Then again, maybe we'll move. What's this about patience??

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sarah - if the real estate market actually bounces back (with fervor!) and I can suddenly start saving several hundred dollars a month (yeah right) and I can find cheap land and build a house out of mud I *think* I could make it happen. So, really I'm just going on faith right now. It's too far off to stress out about it too much.

    Plus property here is crazy expensive too. If I alter that plan to include the Piney Woods of NE Texas or Detroit it would be a different story, but I don't know I really want to live any of those places...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally got on my other computer to post back. I'm so glad you responded saying you're not patient... I read that on a day when I was seriously obsessing and pouting about trying to figure it out. Some days I HAT doing so much work on this house, when we just plan on leaving it... Anyhoo - I needed to commiserate with someone and it made me feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we put our dreams out "there," we can't tell what the result will be. My husband has wanted a little bit of land for as long as we've been together, 30+ years. I always said I wouldn't move from our little house in a city...and guess where we live now? On almost three acres on a dirt road in a small town in central Maine. We have no neighbors to speak of and quiet, quiet nights. You just never know....

    ReplyDelete