Saturday, February 6, 2010

A girl. A plan. A garden. Vegetables.

When I get excited about something I plan incessently. I make lists, diagrams, scale cutouts, most of which are completely unneccesary, but give me a sense that I am moving forward instead of just sitting around and waiting. Before going off to college I made cutouts of my bed and furniture and a scale model of my dormroom, a hefty 9' x 11'. Of course this was completely unneccesary. With a room that small there really isn't any option of arrangements, especially when the desk is built into the wall. But, I was excited and I just wanted to feel involved.

With the start of my garden I have done the same. I have made lists of all the vegetables I could possibly want to grow, cross-referenced the space they need, the season to plant them, etc. And I made a smaller list of just the ones I can plant this year when I am starting out. From that I bought my first round of seeds: Kale, Spinach, Radishes, Carrots and Chard. From that I have taken it one step further and into the digital age. I found an online garden planner that is basically virtual graph paper, but also includes lots of cool harvest tracking capabilities. Anyway, I'm prety excited that I could find something to channel my excitement into.

So, here is my garden plan so far. I'm going to start out in the front yard because the land is already level and given time, money and physical restraints, leveling the side yard and building a retaining wall is a little out of our league right now.


By next weekend we should be buildling our raised beds and filling them with dirt. And then I won't just have to sit inside and imagine and look at my lists, but I can start doing and get out in the dirt. Fingers crossed it's not raining next weekend...

1 comment:

  1. Omigosh! How exciting! I'm kind of like that too. I've lost "that loving feelin'" for things, but hopefully I'll get it back... I just have to figure out: what do I want to be obsessed with?

    ReplyDelete