Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A look back at 2011.

It's time for the clip show entry of the year! I made this list at the start of January 2011 (italics were completed):

January:

  • Learn how to use sewing machine
  • Sew something
  • Research organic pest control
  • Better tree pruning

February:

  • Begin organic pest control
  • New raised beds
  • Begin testing soil, amending
  • Start regular fertilization

March:

  • Put in Fence

April:

  • Grow own herbs, preserve

May:

  • Make a soft cheese

June:

  • Sew something better

July:

  • Get in summer canning routine

August:

  • Better fall/winter garden prep
  • Set up grow lights for Spring? - at least Fall.

September:

  • Increase pickling repertoire
  • Dry something

October:

  • Have cold frame
  • Make one personal bread recipe
  • 70% vegetable growth - through winter


I wouldn't say it's the most accomplished year ever. There has been a lot of thinking and a lot of planning going on in my head this year; there has been plenty of time for thinking.


This year I have worked harder than I ever thought I could without being miserable and losing my mind. The argument could be made of the latter, of course, but overall I think I have managed to hold myself together pretty well. Running has been a large part of that. I don't often write about that here, but I am slowly becoming a runner. I am aiming for miles and I have training programs I am following. I am running on average over ten miles a week now, which to a real runner is peanuts, but to me was unthinkable at the start of the year. It was unthinkable for most of my life. It is something that I don't think I am naturally inclined toward. It is something that I persevered to. It is only through sheer stubbornness that I am becoming a runner, and I can feel the benefits of that, not only physical, but largely mental, spilling over into other areas of my life. Knowing that I can accomplish something if I just keep at it, knowing that slow and steady will get me to the end, becoming strong enough to just sit in the mental anguish of something you don't want to be doing and somehow making that enjoyable. It's been a growing year for me, physically and mentally.


I knit a lot this year. Like, a lot. When I look back at where I was a year ago by skill I have to say I'm pretty impressed with myself. I am mostly fearless trying new things with the needles. I'm tackling lace with a vengeance right now. Fair Isle, though, is something that still scares and intimidates me. Next though, next. Slow and steady. One thing at a time.


I got engaged this year. Crazy, man! I started to feel older this year, more set in a path. I turned 30 and owned a home. I was exploring new things, certainly, but there was a feeling of ease of having finally completed the gauntlet of my roaring twenties and being able to relax into the next phase and then I became a fiancee. Suddenly I am young and inexperienced again. It is just the beginning and an entire new life is laying itself out in front of me.


I dubbed last year "The Year of Frugality". It was, mostly. I have faltered on the frugal-ness of my life the last half of the year. But, monetarily speaking, I am where I should be right now and that feels pretty good. Frugality will continue into next year and there are always areas where improvements can be made. Our biggest splurge is eating out. But, when you get home at 7:30 and have to be in bed by 9:00, sometimes there just isn't enough time to cook. The longer work hours, which bring more pay, just result in spending more money to be able to maintain the long work hours to get more pay...etc... Hopefully next year will bring relief from that vicious cycle.


Next year will be "The Year of Beginnings". I have a feeling a lot of things will change next year that I am not even anticipating right now. But I think choices made in the coming year will set the path for many years to come. There will be the start of a marriage. There will be the start of a new garden (come next Fall). There will be the start of a plan for what we want our life to be. Crazy, man.


My list in progress for 2012:


January

  • Remove Trees from parking strip
  • Get back room set up for starts
  • Get sewing machine set-up
  • Research solar panels. Is it worth it?

February

  • Replant Trees
  • Build Fence

March

  • Make cheese - mozzarella, paneer, ricotta
  • Rain barrels in front

April

  • Landscape back strip with mints, tall grasses
  • Get clothes line on patio

May

  • Have sourdough starter

June

  • Get married
  • Run a half marathon

July

  • Canning routine (pressure canner?)
  • Pickles, pickles, pickles

August

  • Greywater for laundry??

September

  • Wood floors!

November

  • Remove grass from front and side yard


We'll check back in with this list in about a year. Happy New Year!!

1 comment:

  1. Loving these lists! You've inspired me to do something similar for 2012, rather than lame resolutions. ;)

    ReplyDelete