Thursday, December 30, 2010

Sour Cream Bread.

It's been a while since I chronicled a bread baking adventure. I have been stuck in a bread rut. When I do get around to making a loaf I usually stick with my easy whole wheat. It's fast and it's reliable. I found myself marginally bored today so decided to try a new recipe. It's a sour cream bread. Back when I first started baking my own bread over five years ago I made a loaf that used sour cream. I remember I liked it and made it a couple times, but this is a new one to me. I generally don't want to write up a big to do about a recipe I haven't proofed a few times, but what the hell.

It starts with a sour cream base and uses that for the bulk of the moisture. When you mix in the proofed yeast/water/sugar mixture and start adding flour it resembles more of a frosting than anything.



After another cup or so of flour it turned into something that resembled cookie dough.



A good long knead got it all together.



Out of the oven and looking fine!




Verdict: Sour Cream Bread is like eating a cloud. It's AMAZING. I will definitely make this again. I can't ever use a whole carton of sour cream and it gets moldy. This bread is a great way to use it up and feel like you are literally eating a corner of heaven.

2 comments:

  1. Eh, what the hell.

    1 package active dry yeast
    3 tbsp sugar
    1/4 cup warm water
    2 cups sour cream, at room temp
    1 tbsp salt
    1/4 tsp. baking soda
    4-5 cups flour

    Combine yeast, sugar, water and proof for 5 minutes. Mix sour cream, salt and soda in a large mixing bowl. Add yeast mixture. Then add 4 cups flour, one cup at a time, to make a very wet, sticky dough. On a lightly floured board use a bakers scraper to lift the flour and fold the dough over until it can be worked with your hands. Add only enough flour to prevent sticking. Shape dough in a ball, place in a buttered or oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in bulk.

    Punch down the dough, knead for a minute and divide in two equal pieces. Prepare two loaf tins and shape the dough into loaves and place in tins. Cover loosely and let rise until doubled. Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.

    ReplyDelete