Tuesday, July 27, 2010

New crops.

The harvest is changing. We've been eating broccoli, peas and lettuce for what seems like a long time now. But the broccoli is finishing up, I've officially stopped watering the peas because they are dead to me (and mostly dead), and the bulk of the lettuce has bolted and been removed*. I have some more lettuce that is about in it's adolescent stage and ready to start eating too though.


Now, the beans are maturing.




I have cucumbers! I went with pickling cucumbers this year because I love pickles. I am assuming I can eat them as a cucumber too though....although I haven't looked into this yet.



The plums are ripening with fervor. I'm dedicating Thursday morning to make plum preserves.



Harvested today:

  • 1 head broccoli
  • About 1 pound beans
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 head lettuce
  • About 4 straggler peas


*As a side note, the lettuce variety I used was “Salad Bowl Organic”. It's a looseleaf that grew like a weed! It got gigantic and I couldn't come close to eating everything it produced. I just pulled out the bit that was bolting this morning, which was taking up the last four feet of one of the beds. I was shocked to find it was actually only three plants that were taking up all that space. But I did notice that even after it started to bolt, it didn't bitter. Just a note for all you gardeners out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment