Thursday, August 25, 2011

Picture update: August

I took most of yesterday off work to help tend to Mike, who had wrist surgery on Tuesday. He tended to me back when I broke my arm and had multiple surgeries, so now it's my turn. I did a couple things around the house that I normally don't have time to do.

I baked some whole wheat bread. It is quite possibly the worst bread I have ever made. I let it rise too long and it collapsed in the oven. I also used up some old flour and I don't think that helped matters at all.




I finished up some yogurt I started on Sunday night. A half gallon of milk makes this much yogurt:



Tomato season is here!



I learned a new trick from America's Test Kitchen (I love those guys), if you store tomatoes with the stem side down they stay fresh for longer. Oxygen penetrates the core through the stem and this prevents much air from accessing the fruit. Cool!




I did a brief outdoor tour...Bees in the roses.




We might, might, actually get to eat a cabbage from the garden this year. They were nearly dead, eaten by aphids and cabbageworms. I did two applications of castille soap and water spritzed all over the plant and it did the trick! We've got three cabbages (out of six) that survived. Still not much of a head on any of them though.




The squash bed...



There are two delicata squash coming in!




This happened. One of the tomato plants got too heavy and fell over, bending the wire to the cage. We tied it back up as best we could and rigged a guywire system, but now it's falling over in a different direction. Lesson learned. Next year will be heavy on the pruning and probably trying out a different staking system.




A couple big ones...





No comments:

Post a Comment