Monday, August 29, 2011

My Inspirational Blogs.

Every once in a while a friend will tell me how they find my blog intimidating. How I'm doing so much stuff. I think that's mostly because I neglect to blog about burrito nights. Or about those free irises we got and never planted and are probably dead now. Or the bowls of saved seed pods that have been sitting on top of the toaster for three months that I never get around to shelling or storing. Or the fact that my garden is infested with symphilids (I think) and all my tiny seedlings are dying, slowly being eaten from underneath. We are shaping up for few to no winter crops, again. Next year will be better...next year will be better...

Anyhoo - here's some blogs that I like to read for inspiration and also for feeling bad about my own garden and skills. I think, though, the reason I like a lot of them are because they share the disasters as well as the successes and tips. After all, the best way to learn is by failure.

Throwback at Trapper Creek
This is from a working farm a bit outside of Portland in the Columbia Gorge. I get some great tips for local climate and varieties that do well here. It really makes me want a greenhouse too. Plus they have cute dogs.

Northwest Edible Life
This one is Seattle-based, so I still get lots of great information for our region's specific climate and needs. It's more urban-based too, so it's more on my scale. It's also a little snarky sometimes, which I like.

Root Simple
These guys are as close to celebrities that "urban homesteading" can get. They are based out of Los Angeles and have two books out now. It's an informative blog for gardening, housekeeping and politics. They had a couple posts recently outlining their summer failures that are pretty entertaining.

5 Acres and a Dream
I like this one because it's just about a couple who bought five acres and are trying to make it work. It's like a potential glimpse into my future. Maybe? There is also lots of home repair and remodeling going on here.

Farmama
This is a family in Colorado who run a market farm. I like it because it's Colorado and because they are making it work, also the woman spins her own yarn from her own sheep and dyes it with natural dyes that she grows herself. Talk about doing everything!

How Things are Going in the Summer
If you knit, this is intimidating. I like looking at it though. Plus she started working on a sheep farm and there are pictures of lambs now in addition to really complex knitted items.

hi how are you?
This is a blog of a friend of mine. It's often entertaining and usually inspiring because somehow she finds time on random afternoons to make jam and can on a whim. I feel like I have to plan for a week and mentally prepare to get all of that in.

So, those are a few of the many blogs I read regularly. I find that while I'm at work I need a high-dose of daydreaming and inspiration to keep going. So, thanks to all the other bloggers out there who remind me that there are different steps on a long path and many opportunities in my future if I just keep working at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment