Monday, February 6, 2012

New Trees.

As I mentioned previously, our plum tree died. We are in the process of having it removed and doing some other tree-related work around the house. We have two vacant spaces for street trees, and another three dying street trees that need to be removed.

This weekend I spent part of my Saturday planting trees with Friends of Trees. In addition to planting two new street trees at our house in the empty spaces, we planted another 10 or so to other nearby neighbors.








All in all the organization put in about 250 trees in the Woodlawn and Piedmont neighborhoods on Saturday. And now I know how to plant a tree! The hardest part will be the waiting. I don't know how big we will get to see these trees grow. Maybe we'll never move and get to see them to 20 feet high.




3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your plum tree! How sad!

    For Christmas I got the textbook for the Texas Master Gardener course... I'm trying to learn about trees too. I didn't know you need to plant them with the root ball above soil level, and I was really surprised how much you're supposed to prune.

    Best of luck with your new trees :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised how shallow you plant the trees too. I hope the new trees do well. There are inspectors who come around in the summer and grade you on how well you are taking care of the trees. I don't know what happens if you get a bad grade though...

    ReplyDelete